Dear GCF Alumni,
As many of you may know by now, this past weekend Lawrence Harris passed away from a heart attack. Lawrence was GCF’s first Team Leader and during his time with the organization, he touched the lives of many. He had a sincere passion for environmental justice and helping young people reach their full potential. The impact he had on those who knew him was astounding, and we want to ask for your help in honoring his memory.
We are working to create a memorial and would love for alumni to send us any content with Lawrence that they would like to be included. Please share:
- Pictures & videos you have of Lawrence
- Any stories you may have with him
- Reflections on how he impacted your life
- Any other content you think would be appropriate to include
Sharing Your Content
One of our alumni, Eliazar Perdomo will be creating a slide show in honor of Lawrence. If you have any visual content you would like to to be included please email him at eliazarperdomo23@outlook.
If you have any written reflections you would like to be included in our GCF memorial, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Supporting the Funeral Arrangements
Lawrence’s family created a GoFundMe page for those who would like to support his funeral arrangements. Please click on the link below for more information. We will share the details of the service once they are finalized.
Grief is not a problem to be solved or resolved. It is a process to be lived through in whatever form and amount of time it may take. Please take some time to read the affirmations and tips below to help you begin your healing and mourning process to hopefully find peace.
Affirmations for your response to loss
- Tears are evidence you have loved. All yourself to cry when you feel like it
- A broken heart is also a open heart. Your VULNERBAILITY is also your strength. Do not run from your openness.
- Acceptance doesn’t mean that you are okay with the loss, it just means in time we must accept the reality they are o longer here in physical form
Affirmations for understanding Grief
- Grief is an expression that you LOVED well in life. The love will last FOREVER. Your memories will never die. Remember three moments today that you will always cherish
- Grief is work, avoiding grief is even more work. Today I will not run from the pain. I will allow the HEALING powers of grief to soften my feelings and mend my broken heart.
- You can’t think your way out of grief. Be present for it. You can handle it.
Affirmations for Healing
- Just as you cherished their presence, now love them in their absence.
- As you experience the sadness of the loss, find gratitude for the love you shared and the experiences you had. I remember today with LOVE & GRATTITUDE
- Honor your grief today. Don’t look to others to understand it. Only YOU know the magnitude of your loss
1) As we continue to move through these unusual times, we are still offering short term individual counseling and referrals for therapy based on your insurance provider. Please register here if you want to check in with Felicia.
2) A grief counselor will be available for additional one-on-one support if needed. If you believe you will need additional support, please notify Felicia Prince via email at email@example.com
and we will coordinate to have this resource available.
3) NYC Well; a free and confidential service that will connect you with a trained counselor 24/7 for immediate support, as well as access to on-going mental health services. They can be reached by phone at 1-888-692-9355, or by texting “WELL” to 65173.