Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, GCF’s Social Enterprise is pausing all EmPower operations until further notice.
How it Works
Speak with a GCF Illuminator over the phone to set up a free 30-60 minute home energy assessment.
Have a GCF energy auditor visit your home to evaluate your electricity and gas usage, including:
- Measuring the energy use of your refrigerators and freezers;
- Assessing the need for high efficiency showerheads and light bulbs; and
- Checking for carbon monoxide and gas leaks (if natural gas or propane are used in your home).
Receive energy upgrades at no cost, if applicable. Upgrades include:
- New ENERGY STAR refrigerators and freezers
- 16 high efficiency LED light bulbs
- Water-saving showerheads
- CO and smoke detectors
Whether you are a homeowner or renter, you must meet the following requirements to qualify for EmPowerNY under the GCF partnership. You must:
- Live in a home or building with 100 units or fewer;
- Have a household income below 60 percent of the state median income (see the chart below to see if your income fits EmPowerNY guidelines); and
- Be an electricity customer of Con Edison.